Sunday, August 5, 2012

Spaghetti and Beet Balls

I felt inspired to try a new recipe after checking out the Local Matters Local Food Week website.  Saturday I hit the North Market  early and found exactly what I was searching for.  I was able to purchase a bunch of beets from one of the local farmers, organic brown rice from Stutzman Farms, and Keema Curry blend from North Market Spices Ltd.  The recipe is for beet burgers.  But I had a craving for spaghetti and meatballs so I turned the burgers into beet balls.

The first step is grating the beets.  Squeeze out the liquid.

Saute the onion over medium heat with half of the olive oil and let brown. Add the curry, pepper and salt.  Toast for a minute.  The nuts I used were already salted so I didn't add salt at this point.  You can add later if it is needed.

In a food processor, puree half of the grated beets and all of the cooked rice. You want this to be a smooth puree as it will be the binder for the balls.

Add the onions and the nuts and just pulse a couple of times.  You want to add some texture and a little crunch.  Put this mixture in a bowl and add the rest of the grated beets.  You can check it now to see if you would like more salt.

Make them into balls and roll them lightly in cornstarch.  

Heat a saute pan with olive oil and place the balls in the hot oil.  I flattened the balls out a little so they would cook more evenly.   Cook 3-4 minutes on each side and enjoy!

I cut the recipe below in half and it made 12 beet balls.















Beet Balls
1/4 cup of EACH: sunflower seeds, flax seeds and almonds
2 cups grated beets
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1 large onion sliced
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 t Keema Curry blend
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon salt


No comments:

Post a Comment