Sunday, August 7, 2011

Ice Cream...We All Scream!



 I love Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams.  This summer I was fortunate to be able to attend The Apron Gala at The North Market in Columbus.  It's a fund raiser for The North Market.  The food vendors serve samples all evening long.  Of course one of the highlights was Jeni's Ice Cream.  When Jeni's book came out Mary Ann got me a copy very quickly.  I think she thought the sooner I got the book in my hands the sooner she would reap the benefits.




I decided that the first batch I would make would be Brown Butter Almond Brittle.  I was a little apprehensive about making the brittle, but it turned out to be easier than expected.  The only potential problem happened when I added the almonds and baking soda.  The brittle started to get hard quicker than expected.  I was glad that I had the pan ready for it so I got it out just in time.




The brown butter ice cream was a breeze.  Having 3 sticks of clarified butter to cook with for the next week was an added benefit.




As much as I enjoyed making it.  The best part was the final product.  I usually have high expectations for my cooking and don't meet them as much as I'd like to.  This ice cream beat my expectations. It was the best batch I'd ever made.  Now I just need to decide what kind to make next!


1 comment: